Image and video hosting by TinyPic Joyful Noise!: Our Dining... I mean... Office!!

Joyful Noise!

The most wasted of all days, is one without laughter!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Our Dining... I mean... Office!!

We have been doing a little remodel in our house. Nothing that costs much, in case anyone was wondering. Here is what it looked like before: Now, to be clear... I loved this room. I loved the curtains and the table and the decor. I felt like it was well put together. However, we used this room a grand total of 2 times in one year. Not practical and a waste of space!! So after some coercion on my part, Hank agreed to let me make a change.

The first hurdle to overcome was that we didn't want to loose any seating, for the rare times we do need both tables. So we accomplished this by taking our dining room table into the eat in kitchen... (notice the new curtains, courtesy of my fabulous sister!)
...and using the smaller round table in the corner of the dining room for a homework area...

I love the switch! The more formal table dresses up that eat in area! And I love that we have more seating without having to pull out a leaf!

The next thing was the lighting fixture was current and nice, but hung too low. And since this room in on the front of the house, gets warmer than most... so I asked for a fan (shout out to all you handy husbands out there! Couldn't live without mine!) And I'm sitting here blogging and enjoying the breeze from it right now. :)

We were also blessed with some heavy duty shelves. A guy from our small group had a bunch of these to unload from his work. We got a few and painted them. And we purchased a wall mount desk from IKEA, sanded it and painted it white to match and mounted it between the shelves.

Now, I'm showing you guys all of this pre-decorating because I am going to have to do some yard saling and bargain hunting to get the look that I want in here. So don't judge too harshly just yet. I have ideas for a reading chair, and I want a nice round rug in here. And I plan to make these shelves functional and stylish! You will just have to wait and see! The only thing I've done so far is to take some old picture frames and frame some scrapbook paper!

But, lack of decorating aside... this is already so much more functional for our family! We can put music on in here, the boys can get online, I can work on my coupons without spreading them all over the house! It's coming together nicely, if I do say so myself!

I would love some suggestions from my creative friends! Let me know what you would do!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Tabbie:) said...

I think it looks fabulous!! I love the shelves!!

You could put some baskets in the bottom of the shelves with crafts and toys for the kiddos, that's my only idea. Oh and watch Design on a Dime on HGTV they always have GREAT cheap ideas!!!

I love it!!!

7:04 PM  
Blogger ~Crystal~ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:21 AM  
Blogger ~Crystal~ said...

It does look good. It will for sure be the room of activity in the house. Much better than some small room away from the hub of the house. I know you are going to love it there.

My suggestion is lamps. But I always suggests lamps, because I love them. :) They make rooms "homey".

(sorry for my delete. I had to fix a word.)

1:22 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

i love the shelves - wish i had them kinda love :) I can't think of anything else at the moment - i need to see it in person!

5:03 AM  
Blogger RhiDesign said...

Jamie, it looks great! I love repurposing a room to make it functional for your family. I LOVE the shelves! I think a rug will really pull it all together. It would also be fun to frame some of the kids artwork in there. Also, maybe hang a framed bulletin board above the desk in between the shelves. You could even cover the cork part with a coordinating fabric. Great job! I'm sure you guys will spend a lot of time in there!!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jenn Hudson said...

I love the redo! Its such a great use of space, turning it mommy blogging zone. :)

You seriously got the hook up with these shelves! What a blessing!!

What I would do is add some color pop to the back of white shelves. You could start by adding a lining (simply use cheap scrapbook paper, and tape) to the back wall of each shelf. Painting them black, and using a deep red would look great! If you wanted to keep them white (to someday use elsewhere like a kids room or closet, and you don't want to trouble of going dark...), then maybe go with a turquoise or lime green, any color pop, or use a brown modern pattern to match ur curtains. Here's an example of what I'm talking about with the lining: http://www.pepperdesignblog.com/?p=9424

Then add some kind of upward lighting on the top shelves to really spark the emotions!

And I love Tabbie's idea! Baskets would make a world of difference. Matching fabric ones are expensive. Get some mix & match basket-weave ones, or use fruit stand baskets and spray paint them all the same color!

how fun!! i love your home Jamie!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I love the spray painted fruit basket idea!!! now... where do I find those?? Hmmmm...

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home