Image and video hosting by TinyPic Joyful Noise!: A Mother's Heart

Joyful Noise!

The most wasted of all days, is one without laughter!

Thursday, August 07, 2008

A Mother's Heart

Well, the first day of school is over. Thank goodness. I've been on an emotional roller coaster all day. I woke up, and got myself ready reluctantly. Then I headed into the kitchen to get Tres's backpack ready. I had not fully cleaned it out since last spring when he finished up K-4. We actually had to take him out of K-4 a week early to go on a trip to Disney. We knew that the days of freedom for planning vacations were coming to a rapid end, and just went for it. So, I knew there would be a few things in there that I had not seen... drawings, papers, etc. But nothing could have prepared this momma for what I found...I found a tiny teal package with my name (Mom) written on it. When I opened it, it was a heart shaped pin that he had made for me last Mother's Day. Along with that, I found the Mother's Day book that his school had made. They asked all the kids some of the same questions and bound them in a book to give to all the moms.
Here's what they asked:
1- What does your Mom look like?
2- What does your Mom do with you/for you?
3- What does your Mom like to do?

And here are his answers:When I got done sobbing, I controlled myself and got Hank up and between the two of us we got our crew up, fed, and ready. Today is the only day we are allowed to walk them to their rooms, and since we both wanted to go, that meant the whole gang went too! :)Ready for the next 12 years of his life!Leading the way, as always. Bryant was in awe.Not too cool to hold his Momma's hand.But a little too excited to hug her good-bye. He went straight in and to his chair. He didn't need any reassurance... no promises to be first in line to pick up... no I'll be back for you... nothing. That's the way I wanted it really... but not REALLY. The deep, innermost, Mommiest part of me wanted him to cling to me and beg me not to leave. To need a hundred hugs, and promises and reassurance. But I'm so very proud of him. I was proud as I stood there feeling like my arms where a new kind of empty watching my baby from the doorway test his wings with excitement. And I cried silently as we all headed back out to the car. It was slightly reassuring to see a handfull of other Mom's crying their eyes out as well.

He came home with shining eyes, telling me about a name game he played today. And that he knew two of the kids on the playground from K-4. He told me about buying his lunch for the very first time (he got pizza), and that one girl already got in time out today... but not him, he was quick to assure me. He told me about carrying his tray at lunch and drinking his drink at snack time. He told me that Ms. Andrews is pretty. And he told me that he 'sure is glad he lost that tooth, Mom, cause it makes a pretty great shortcut for my drinks!'

The house was quiet today. Bryant was a little lost, as always, without his big brother. But the house will be even quieter in a couple of weeks when he starts his K-4.
[Please read the following with a note of sarcasm.]
I'm just glad I have a whole day before my baby turns one... I mean what ever would I do with actual time to adjust?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Becca Mae said...

It was so heart wrenching to watch them walk away. I cried reading your post because the emptiness is still so fresh. It is so hard to think about letting already, but I guess now is when it starts. What are we going to do when they want to go to college?

5:55 AM  
Blogger dana said...

I know just how you feel, I felt it last year and will more so this year with my youngest starting K and my oldest going to first grade (all day) is Tres going to all day K? Here we only do 1/2 day so my day will only be sad for half of it :(

7:04 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

i'm trying to prepare myself for Darcy's first day on Monday... this isn't helping! LOL

I took lots of pics last night at orientation :)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Ok you had me in TEARS before I finished reading. Just think...I will be going through the same thing with Felicity next year...and you too for a SECOND time. You and I will both be left alone with our youngest girls and both will be so lost without ALL their siblings...then we will definitly have to get together...maybe just to cry the first day before having shopping therapy (:

12:49 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

What did you say Tres's teacher's name was? I think I went to Montevallo with her!She was in my edu classes.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Amy Lee said...

Aw Jamie, you had me in tears with that post! I can so totally relate! I've felt that way every year since Kaylin started K-3. This year with Kaylin going to 1st grade and Annlee in K-4, I'm sure I'll be fighting the tears yet again.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home