Image and video hosting by TinyPic Joyful Noise!: My Mom

Joyful Noise!

The most wasted of all days, is one without laughter!

Friday, August 11, 2006

My Mom



Yesterday, my mom had surgery to remove a mass around her esophagus. The surgery was over by noon or so, but we didn't find out until late yesterday what happened in surgery, because the doctor got tied up on a few emergencies.

Initially, they had thought that when they operated, they would have to cut through her breastbone (sternum), to get to the mass. Then they said, they may be able to avoid that. So we were wondering what it was.

They did actually cut her sternum in order to get to the mass. They also removed four lymphnodes that were attached to the mass. The doctor said that they did not look suspicious to him, but he sent them off for testing and that we would know for sure by the time she comes home Saturday.

Because they had to cut her sternum, and it is now wired back together, her recovery is going to be hard. She can't lift her arms or use them at all right now. If she does, it could cause the breastbone to rub against one another and prevent them from fusing back together properly. If you know my mom... dedicated to all things grandbaby... you know that this is going to be difficult. She is going to want to cuddle and hug and pick up all of our cute kids and she won't be able to for a while.

Please say a prayer for Betty Fay today. I hate seeing my Mom in pain. I am going up to see her on my lunch break today. I spoke to her very briefly this morning, and she sounds better than yesterday, but slightly more aware and tired. If you want to see her, give me a call. She is now in a regular room, and can have flowers too.

The doctor threw out some scary words yesterday. So, Lord, we are trusting you to keep my Mom healthy. You are the great physician Lord. Give my Mom the strength she needs, physically, emotionally, and spiritually to make it through this recovery process. Thank You, Lord for nothing but good news and reports. And thank You, Lord for peace right now and help my Mom to rest safely in You.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I will be praying for your mom. Keep us posted, okay?

6:08 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

I LOVE Betty like a sister. She is one of the most amazing women I know. She is continually in my prayers and heart.
I'm here for you guys, for anything at anytime!!!

Love ya'll, Vickie (aka Mickey!)

12:02 PM  
Blogger native-nc said...

How's your mom feeling?? Definetly pray for a speedy recovery!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home