Image and video hosting by TinyPic Joyful Noise!: Guess what I did Friday night?

Joyful Noise!

The most wasted of all days, is one without laughter!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Guess what I did Friday night?

Oh... get your minds out of the gutter folks!! I actually spent the evening cleaning out my pantry, my linen closet, and my closet getting a donation ready to take to Kingwood on Monday. I felt good to be able to do SOMETHING, even in a small way for those without anything.
This weekend was kind of weird to me for some reason. Usually my household is geared up and ready for the first Alabama home football game. And we were excited. We made the necessary preparations... Guest bed made-up- check... Front bathroom scrubbed and stocked with clean towels- check... Alabama t-shirts washed- check... tickets in hand- check... Kids deposited at mom's house- check... Gas tank filled- God heavens! check.
But once we were on our way, I couldn't shake my contemplative mood. I kept seeing images roll through my head... as if they were on a loop... of people who had lost everything in this devastating disaster.
We got to the game, and to out normal tailgating spot. Notable differences this year to me were the Red Cross Donation Collecters everywhere, and there was a more somber mood (or maybe it was just me).
We headed to the game early, and got to our seats about 45 minutes before kick-off. They made a few announcements about how the athletics department at UA donated $1 million to relief efforts, and $1 from all ticket sales for the game ($85,000) was donated as well. It is nice to see people willing and able to help everywhere you turn.
Anyway, throughout the first half of the game... I felt God nudging me to pray. So I sat quietly beside my over-excited and shouting husband and mother-in-law and prayed. The main focus of my prayer through-out the first quarter was Josiah Atchison. The focus of my prayer through-out the second quarter were the victims of the hurricane. I kept watching all these people around me jump up and cheer and get excited about a GAME. It just all felt so silly to me in the big scheme of things. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty for enjoying life... because life goes on. This just reflects how I felt.
I felt a need to spend my energy on prayers. I even began writing a song about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Crystal~ said...

That's beautiful Jamie. I know how you feel. I think it's amazing how God will use us in times we may not think 'normal'. But praise the Lord you have a willing heart to follow as He leads. Most people would have thought, "I'm at a football game! I'll pray later." And then they would forget about the prayers. Thank you for having an open heart & not only hearing the Lord, but following Him.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home