Image and video hosting by TinyPic Joyful Noise!: Our New Normal

Joyful Noise!

The most wasted of all days, is one without laughter!

Friday, December 11, 2009

Our New Normal

For several weeks, the kids have seemed to be pretty much adjusted to our new 'normal.' Don't get me wrong, they still wait for Friday like it's Christmas Eve, and hate Monday. But there are no longer emotional breakdowns and boundary testing sessions going on. I have laid down the rules and our routine, and the kids seem to be responding pretty well. I have noticed, though, that they tell Daddy WWWAAAAYYY more about their days than they do me. I can say, "How was you day?" And get a "Fine" or "Good." Hank can ask, and he gets it all!

Last night, though, Bryant wanted his Dad. The kids were eating at the kitchen table while I was cleaning up after them (Remember we are keeping OUR HOUSE picure perfect.. or at least close to it! since it is on the market) and he started sobbing for his Daddy.

I went over, picked him up and situated him in my lap. He doesn't let me 'baby' him very often so I remember kissing his head and breathing in the smell of his freshly washed hair. We talked for a few minutes and decided to pray for the next day to go by quickly, made plans for the boys to sleep on the pull-out sofa downstairs, and decided to make Daddy's favorite cookies. That seemed to satisfy him, but it broke my heart. I sat there silently praying. I know it hasn't been a long season for us. And if God is teaching Hank and I important things right now, I am glad for this time. But I miss finding Hank's foot in bed at night... My heart is screaming for my family to be whole again.

Weeks like this... chicken pox, computer viruses, and the usual holiday stresses... make me realize it even more.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~Crystal~ said...

I love it when you are so honest....It's just a season & they always pass for the next one. This season is coming to a close.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I can't even imagine being in your shoes... I count down the hours till my hubby gets home every afternoon. I cherish our conversations at night about the deep things thats on his mind and the way he tries to break them down to me :)

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home