Image and video hosting by TinyPic Joyful Noise!: Upper GI Fun

Joyful Noise!

The most wasted of all days, is one without laughter!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Upper GI Fun

Yesterday, Hank and I loaded up our crew and headed downtown for Sophie's appointment to have an upper GI to see if she has reflux. To me, this test was just a necessary step. I KNOW she has reflux. If you saw the amount of clothing, blankets, burp clothes, and socks this chick goes through... you would know it too. Both of my boys had reflux, and we did not have to go and have an upper GI in order to get medication for them. But apparently, this is now a mandatory step with our pediatrician.
I wasn't allowed to feed her after 7:45 and her appointment was at 9:45, which was fine since she's been doing her daytime feedings every 3 hours. So we got there and got registered, and then she and I went back. The upper GI for a baby is pretty darn cool, I must say. They fed her Barium in a bottle, and then did a sort of continuous x-ray to watch what happened when it hit her stomach. Here the nurses are preparing to feed her the Barium. They wrapped her arms and legs with sheets to keep them still and out of the way. Ava was not particularly fond of this!Here's her little tummy before she ate. If I hadn't been so fascinated, and if I hadn't of been distracted by wishing I could make her stop crying, I would have made a video... but I didn't so you have to just deal with pictures! :)Here they are starting to feed her the Barium. You can see the bottle in her little mouth.And then the Barium heads to her stomach. That black trail is the Barium.It hit her stomach... and then a few minutes later, headed right back up. She was officially diagnosed with stage 4 (out of 5) acid reflux, which was no surprise to this Mom, who wears her daughter's special blend scent 'Eu de Parfum Spit Up' every day! So she is starting medicine tomorrow and she should out grow it (like the boys did) by about 5-6 months.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

Well I guess I know now that Crystal had reflux when she was a baby. I don't think she ever had a bottle that she didn't throw up after. She didn't just throw up, BUDDY it was PROJECTILE. It would hit you in the back of the head if you didn't get out of the way fast enough. The sad thing is.....she still does that when she gets sick.

7:30 PM  
Blogger ~Crystal~ said...

Geez, thanks Mom, for the lovely description of me puking.

Poor little Ava, her was scared!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home